What is "Mold Release?"
    It's all good!

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
      Career Member
      • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
      What is "Mold Release?"
      It is a non stick release agent used in the molding process so the head won't stick inside the mold when it comes out.

Lynn

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
        Career Member
        • Jun 10, 2007

Too be honest I really doubt it is a mold release as it would need to be removed so the paint will stick.

Lynn

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
          To Fear is Not Logical...
          • Feb 17, 2008

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking mold as in mildew and couldn't quite figure it out.
          It's all good!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

The GL that I just swapped out had the "slick" that everyone is talking about...except the oil wasn't just up near the face. It was in the bottom of the bubble on the soles of the shoes/boots. It definitely is an oily composition and not condensation.

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
              • May 10, 2007

I agree that it looks oily. I mentioned condensation in the thread title because that was mentioned as a possibility in the thread linked in my first post. (But yeah, if it were only water, it would have evaporated, instead of remaining stuck inside the bubble.)

If I can find some of those long cotton swabs suggested, I'll see if I can clean up the stuff, but I wonder if it will just spread it around.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                Live Long and Prosper
                • Mar 23, 2008

I have three sets of wave 1 and a green arrow out of his white box and they all have it. Two sets which I got in a case from BBTS has it on the outside of the bubble as well. I wiped it away and it's oily and smells plasticky.
                Sammy

Comment

• Doctor Flarb
                  • Jul 26, 2009

Here's what's happening to my Sinestro:

Sinestro on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can see the condensation(?) happening. All 4 of my figures have this happening to some degree. Sinestro is the worst by far.
                  Last edited by Doctor Flarb; Mar 14, '10, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• saildog
                    Permanent Member
                    • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Agent of SHIELD
                    If I can find some of those long cotton swabs suggested, I'll see if I can clean up the stuff, but I wonder if it will just spread it around.
                    It shouldn't. I took my second Green Arrow off of the card because I noticed a slight divot on the very tip of his nose and I didn't want to risk any further deterioration. (I had stored the box inside a closet, but it was laying face down and the nose was pressed against the bubble. Yeah, go check your stash.)

The oily stuff on the inside of the bubble came off with a Q-Tip and it didn't streak or smear around.

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
                      • May 10, 2007

Originally posted by saildog
                      It shouldn't. I took my second Green Arrow off of the card because I noticed a slight divot on the very tip of his nose and I didn't want to risk any further deterioration. (I had stored the box inside a closet, but it was laying face down and the nose was pressed against the bubble. Yeah, go check your stash.)

The oily stuff on the inside of the bubble came off with a Q-Tip and it didn't streak or smear around.
                      Thanks, that's ecouraging news!

Comment

• weatherwizard-Corey
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Jul 1, 2008

Mine too...

I bought one at the store and ordered the rest online and they all had it to some degree or another. I'd say it's some sort of light oil coming from the head paint perhaps or the head. They probably didn't let them cure well before sealing them up. I don't think it will be a big deal.
                        Wanted:- 12" Robin Shoes; Mego Batcave, Mego Die-cast Batman-loose, Mattel-BSG Gold Cylon loose.

Comment

• saildog
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by weatherwizard-Corey
                          I bought one at the store and ordered the rest online and they all had it to some degree or another. I'd say it's some sort of light oil coming from the head paint perhaps or the head. They probably didn't let them cure well before sealing them up. I don't think it will be a big deal.
                          I don't think it is, either provided you keep the head from touching the bubble. My GA had a definite "runny nose" and it left a small divot on the tip of the nose. Had it been there when I got it, I would have noticed because I looked both of mine over before removing the first one from the card. The divot one was the better of the two and that's why I left it carded until this afternoon.

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

well, add my figs to the list too.
                            I went to look after seeing multiple posts about this issue...

There is enough building up inside the blister that it is running down the inner wall on both my Sinestro and Green Arrow. Hasn't dripped onto the suits as far as I can see.

This almost seems like the blister is breaking down. It seems like it is starting to plasticize and return to oil form.

I have no quams busting open Sinestro to save him...but Green Arrow was bought at a Premium price and I do NOT want to open him unless I can get a replacement at MSRP of $19.99.

Here's pics:

I did try calling Mattel's Consumer Hotline as Paul suggested; alas, they were closed for the evening.

Comment

• Random Axe
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Apr 16, 2008

I just noticed this thread tonight. My Superman has a little bit of this happening on the front of the blister. My GA has this happening on all three sides.

So what's the general consensus regarding this? Pull them out? That's a huge disappointment.

Scott
                              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• noelani72
                                27inaleon
                                • Jun 25, 2002

I dunno Scott, but I agree. I am curious - whether it be Dave @ Cast-a-way Toys or Paul @ EMCE; those two guys would cough up parts to make thing right and wouldn't think twice about it.....will Mattel do the same??

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎