• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Satan's robot?? How do I do it??

I want to make a clunky 40's style robot like this:

I thought he'd be neat fighting Superman, I just need some idea how to do it.
    Last edited by thunderbolt; Jun 29, '08, 5:34 PM.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I got red "Xs"..???
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• shellhead
      museum rustpot
      • Mar 1, 2007

Hey T-Bolt, I couldn't see your pics so I looked him up online. Looks like the bulk of the thing can be made out of thin walled pvc pipe and the flexible plastic accordian pleated tubing you run wiring thru under your dashboard. the rivets can be done by diping a toothpick in 5 min. epoxy and applying dots along pencil lines. You didn't say if you wanted to put a Mego (or Famous Covers in your case,)Inside the thing or have it built self contained. hope these ideas help! You do awesome stuff Bolt ,I cant wait to see you cook this guy up!

Best,

Chris
      Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• shellhead
        museum rustpot
        • Mar 1, 2007

Another thought... I've seen some very nice tin wind-ups, and battery opps, that look similar to this guy, a little custom modification and you could actually have a walking replica!
        Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

Are you trying to do the robot from the Star Trek Voyager Holodeck? Or just the robot from the old movie serials it was based on?

You could get a catalog fromm Plastistruct and buysome plastic tubes and cut them to the proper sizes. If you use polystyrene at least you can use model kit glue to attach details to them. The should be easy to cut and work with.

Can you get round hollow wood? You could use that material and round wooden beads as joints. Then you could snake rubberbands or elastic cord thru them like a real mego figure and it would be posable.

Here are some images I found on the web:

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

I don't plan on putting a body inside it, it looks like the shoulders would be too restrictive for that. DO they sell the conduit that is used for gooseneck lamps? I've got feet from a Gundam model that will work.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

I don't know how to help you but Doctor Satan's clunky robot is a great idea
              for a custom.

The Doctor Satan movie serial was originally planned to feature Superman
              but Republic Pictures balked at the price they would have had to play for
              the rights to Superman.

Hope you figure out how to make the figure. I'd really like to see it.

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

For the rivets, you can use 3D paint. oops..Didn't see that somebody posted how to do rivets earlier in the thread.
                Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

The arms & legs kinda look like a Blower for confind Spaces. Too bad they don't make them that small.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Oooooh, I found a shampoo bottle that will work for the body.

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Oooooh, I found a shampoo bottle that will work for the body.
                      I just had an idea! Some of those bendy straws might work for the arms. You might look into the licensed kids plastic ware with attached bendy straws and you can repaint silver.

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^^Hey, that's not a bad idea. Thanks.

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

I found a photo of the bendy straws I'm thinking of:

To do list:

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

I knew what you were talking about, do they hold a shape like that?

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

They usually hold their shape, because of the way the plastic is folded/scored. If you want one that retains its bend/shape, then you should make sure the plastic crease is sharp as opposed to round. I've seen several types, and the ones with sharp creases hold their bends easier than the ones with rounded creases. I was just admiring the work that went into the manufacturing of one of the straws I had in hand a few days ago, bending it this way and that, seeing how it retained its bend...before you posted this thread. I am so weird.
                              Last edited by jessica; Jul 3, '08, 6:17 PM.

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎