X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNutt
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 8, 2009

Mego Super City Plans

I was checking out the musuem and happened upon the Women's Day Super City Plans.

http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrar.../supercity.pdf

Has anyone tried to make this? If so how did it turn out?
    If you need a hole, I can dig it.
  • vulcan2074
    Live Long and Prosper
    • Mar 23, 2008

I've never seen that before. Thats way cool. It definately looks challenging to build
    Sammy

Comment

• GAFan
      Veteran Member
      • May 30, 2008

I'd heard about it, but never seen the plans. I guess it pays to dig around. Love the phone booth with Superman busting through the roof.
      sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

That is cool I've never seen it before.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Awesome.

Woman's Day is the shizzizle!

I think WD was the magazine that had plans for a space city to use with 4" scale figures (read Star Wars). If I remember it, there was a graphic with 5 or 6 vinyl caped jawas running around.

Dig it!

rche

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I've got the plans sitting around somewhere. Does someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot sell cardboard? I'd use regular boxes but not sure how it would look with printing on it.

Comment

• Marvelmania
              A Ray of Sunshine
              • Jun 17, 2001

Member CTC (Don) made it and a couple of other cool cardboard toys. It takes A LOT of room but well worth it if you have the room to spare. If you do decide to giv it a try it would be great to see some pics! You can use most any boxes that are big enough then you use paint and colored tape to finish it off.

Comment

• M3G0M4V3R1CK
                Hooked On Mego
                • Jun 15, 2008

thats really cool i love that penguin is runnin away in he pic lol great find
                Good Buyer-Trader List ...

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                  Removed.
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I saw it early on but man, it looks like quite a project and quite large.
                  Maybe someday. I think i'd want to modify some things though.
                  Is it supposed to be constructed from cardboard? I thought it was a wood project? Or maybe that was the modification I was thinking of?
                  Rich

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
                    Member CTC (Don) made it and a couple of other cool cardboard toys. It takes A LOT of room but well worth it if you have the room to spare. If you do decide to giv it a try it would be great to see some pics! You can use most any boxes that are big enough then you use paint and colored tape to finish it off.
                    Don's set up is droolworthy
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Has anyone tried to make this? If so how did it turn out?

I've finished it. It's AWESOME! Having completed it, there are a few things I would have changed: stuff like the stairs in the bank. I would run them along the interior wall instead of across the back. (They get in the way when you're playing.... er.... posing figures.) Some of the measurements are a scootch off, but nothing serious. It's not too tough a project.

I've been adding buildings to mine, including an old European style house modeled after Ian MIller's drawings, and a clock tower. (With working foam rubber gears for mulching up dudes.)

>I'd heard about it, but never seen the plans.

I had them when I was a kid. You mailed in a coupon from the mag for them. Only finished the Skyscraper at that time. It had always stuck in my craw that I never finished the whole thing. Turns out the plans were reprinted in the "Woman's Day Boook of Best Loved Toys and Dolls." A copy of which sat in a nearby library for decades. Years of searching and it was SOOOO close....

>Is it supposed to be constructed from cardboard? I thought it was a wood project?

Cardboard. The wood one was something else.

>I think WD was the magazine that had plans for a space city to use with 4" scale figures (read Star Wars).

That's it! The book has THOSE plans in it too. (One day I"m gonna finish that one and set it up in my basement, along with the 3.5" Cantina from "The Star Wars Gamer.") And somewhere online are the plans for 3.5" Hoth and Dagobah from Woman's Day too. Man, that mag used to SERIOUSLY rock.

>Does someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot sell cardboard? I'd use regular boxes but not sure how it would look with printing on it.

Corrugated carboard is expensive. When I started the city a friend joined me for some.... er.... late night excursions in search of material. Auto repair places are a good source, depending on how you feel about jumping fences.... (My friend's catchphrase used to be "that sound completely juvenile and dangerous. I am SO in!")

I lucked out when I bought a couple appliances. The guy who owned the place used to leave the empty crates out for me, and I'd come by at night and pick 'em up.

>It takes A LOT of room but well worth it if you have the room to spare.

One of the main reasons I bought a house was 'cos I wanted somewhere to set my stuff up. Mostly the city, and my immense Gundam model kit collection.

Don C.

Comment

• drmego
                        EMCE Toys
                        • Jun 15, 2001

If you think corrugated carboard is expensive, stay away from corrugated plastic!

I used to go to a plastics store on Canal St. in lower Manhattan years ago that
                        sold sheets of corrugated plastic sheets. I always thought they would work
                        well for the Super City - but now that store is long gone.
                        www.drmego.com
                        www.megoman.com
                        www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

I've always thought it'd be a fun Mego Meet project. Have a bunch of people build one building each and then set em all up at the Kruger museum.
                          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• M3G0M4V3R1CK
                            Hooked On Mego
                            • Jun 15, 2008

agreed have everyone build one section this will be built in no time
                            Good Buyer-Trader List ...

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                              Career Member
                              • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
                              If you think corrugated carboard is expensive, stay away from corrugated plastic!

I used to go to a plastics store on Canal St. in lower Manhattan years ago that
                              sold sheets of corrugated plastic sheets. I always thought they would work
                              well for the Super City - but now that store is long gone.

Check with a Sign Supply store in the yellow pages. A 4' x 8' sheet, any color, of corrugated plastic, 3/16" thick is about $25. Thicker sheets are alittle bit higher. Check around to different suppliers if they give you a high price. I've been in the sign business for about 15 years. It has hundreds of uses other than signs.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎