X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gman
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 4, 2002

Chrome Plating

I was talking to a company today about plating some parts --- Has anyone ever done something like this? I want to compare note with what I was told. And is 5 dollars a part reasonable?
    Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

5 Bucks a Part sounds very cool to me.
    Stupid Question,.. Wouldn't resin & Plastic just melt if you tried to Chrome dip it ?
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• gman
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 4, 2002

I have no idea how they do it.... These guys specialize in model car restoration.

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Are you Thinking about Resin & or Plastic Parts Chromed ?
        Did you ask em if they can do those ?
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
          • Oct 8, 2007

I think that is a fair price, considering that it could really set the piece apart from a painted one.
          I would like to rechrome some parts too. Can you post the address or is it secret?? Maybe if it goes well for you, you could recommend the place.
          It might be great for restoring some old chrome toys. I was thinking thor helmets, or 12" Cylon chest plates????
          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• gman
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 4, 2002

No secret -- It's Chrometech -- they are located in WI. nice guy called and we talked for awhile about resins, plastic and prep. I'm thinking of both resin and plastic parts.

here is a link ---
            Chrome tech usa, Chrome plating service, vacuum metallizing, for plastic on model cars, toys and automotive interior dash pannels.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Thank you for posting this. There comes a point when what you find at the craft store is just not going to cut it, and this is a perfect solution.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

It's a bargain. Bulletman arms and Thor Helmets for everyone.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

I agree $5 a part is awesome,I see a lot of Silver Surfer customs coming are way in the future
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• gman
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 4, 2002

the 5 bucks a part was for what I wanted -- hand -- forearm -- upper arm -- pins -- and helmet. So to properly chrome my Bullet Man is about 40 bucks + shipping.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                      Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                      • Oct 8, 2007

What if the piece is already painted??? Would it still work??
                      Probably better to buy a fresh one unfinished.
                      "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• gman
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 4, 2002

Oh, I am definately going to do it.... The more I think about it and look at the chrome painted version I have done -- I have to do it. As a friend of mine on this board once told me "whadda ya want? Chicken-poop or chicken salad?" and I think this fits that line of thought quite nicely.
                        The owner told me on resin cast parts they have to be flawless -- pits, repairs, any sanding will stand out and literally be magnafied. So I am reworking my helmet -- I am going to remold it. sand it to where it's perfect and remold that before I send it out to be chromed. I will share it with you guys when he is finished. Thanks for the input it was very helpful.

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by gman
                          the 5 bucks a part was for what I wanted -- hand -- forearm -- upper arm -- pins -- and helmet. So to properly chrome my Bullet Man is about 40 bucks + shipping.
                          If it's a custom why not cast the arm in resin as one piece and have it chromed together? Upper.lower, and hand. The pins will probably lose there chrome when you push them through the elbow joint any way, plus casting it you could alter it to look more like the GIJoe hands but in 8" scale for a more realistic look.
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• gman
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 4, 2002

I still want the classic Type 2 body.. and it's more resin cast parts to contend with.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                              Megoholic RocketScientist
                              • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                              Are you Thinking about Resin & or Plastic Parts Chromed ?
                              Did you ask em if they can do those ?
                              The website home page states "* vacuum metallizing of aluminum." I to wonder if plastic can be done using this or a similar process?
                              Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎