Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to display MEGO dolls.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyperjoe
    Museum Patron
    • Jul 2, 2008

Whats the best way to display MEGO dolls.

I want to built a display case for my action figures but I want it to be safe from light. What should I be thinking of when hanging it, as far as placement and lighting I should use. Does Halogen cause the paint to fade? What should I use?
    Last edited by hyperjoe; Aug 5, '08, 9:15 AM.
    I am proud to be Americana. In today's society, I would be considered folklore -Me
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

Well. As far as I have seen, any type of direct light will fade colors over time. I keep mine out of direct sunlight, on a shelf. If you are really concerned about it, and have the cash, you can get UV glass and work it into the design, but I don't know what kind of carpenter you are and it is pretty pricy. I would recommend checking out the Toy Room Central thread for ideas from others collections.
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• starsky
      veteran member
      • Aug 26, 2007

you should consider one of these!!

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Direct sunlight is bad and florescent lighting is bad (because of UV). Incandescent lighting is ok in comparison, but I still wouldn't keep a direct light on the toys for a long period of time. I don't even trust indirect sunlight. When I'm not in my office/toyroom during the day, I keep the blinds closed.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

The BEST way to display them is to build your own SuperCity; and set them up in it, and take pictures, and make weird little comics with those pictures....

Don C.

Comment

• twilitezoner
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 18, 2007

Originally posted by hyperjoe
            I want to built a display case for my dolls but I want it to be safe from light. What should I be thinking of when hanging it, as far as placement and lighting I should use. Does Halogen cause the paint to fade? What should I use?
            Action figures my friend. Action figures.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

I think as long as you avoid direct and intense sunlight, and a strong light source that's too near the figures, you're OK. Don't get too near a window.
              I've collected figures for thirty years now, with very few casualties. The only one is my Lancelot, who stood on a window sill for one day. He is now know as..."The Yellow Knight".
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                • Oct 8, 2007

Originally posted by twilitezoner
                Action figures my friend. Action figures.
                Can't belive I missed that. Yes- Action figures, and you should probably buy some Dida displays to help with your super city.
                "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• hyperjoe
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jul 2, 2008

who said dolls?
                  I am proud to be Americana. In today's society, I would be considered folklore -Me

Comment

• Riffster
                    Atomic batteries to power
                    • Jun 29, 2008

i ordered a 2 level cave, can't wait to recieve it so i can build a proper display
                    Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                    And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• English Paul
                      Archive cased.
                      • Aug 17, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                      I don't even trust indirect sunlight.
                      And rightly so. I had a carded Kirk and a couple of boxed Corgis fade even though they were in a corner away from the sun. I never considered the sunlights reflection off a white painted door, which is what did the damage.
                      "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 10, 2006

Keep out of sunlight and keep out of much direct light as you can
                        Last edited by Bionic Joe; Aug 5, '08, 2:15 PM.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                          • Oct 8, 2007

I am going to move my megos, because of this thread.

Comment

• hyperjoe
                            Museum Patron
                            • Jul 2, 2008

Ronin, you can send me a bill. LOL
                            I think I am going to spend the money on UV film for the glass of my star wars displays case.

Comment

• johnmiic
                              Adrift
                              • Sep 6, 2002

If you check Best Buy they sell these adjustable DVD/VHS self units for around $60 that could be adapted to display Megos. You might consider getting some plexi and closing it up to keep dust out.

You might also try your local library or department stores that go out of business. I have these 4 plastic towers a library threw out. They used to go on a rotating carousel-which was too big to fit in my apartment. I guess they used to hold VHS tapes. They are open on 4 sides and not nearly tall enough to fit Mego's yet

I was hoping to remove the horizontal wall in it and replace it with a taller piece to hold 8 inch Megos, 9 inch Playmates Treks and some 12 inch figures. If I could close up most of the sides and attach a door to open & close the case it would seem almost perfect. I could adapt it to spin on it's own axis but that might be a bit more complicated than I could achieve. I may just have someone build a wood base and top hat for them. I'm at work but I'll take some pics and try to post them when I get home.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎