X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynn TXP 0369
    Career Member
    • Jun 10, 2007

My Aurora Prehistoric Scenes models

After almost 19 years of collecting these Aurora Prehistoric Scenes kits and their reissues to get what I didn't have I'm almost done not only collecting the full line, but I'm also halfway done building them as well.
    It has been a long time coming and a labor of love and I'm at the point to where I can start to display them.

T-rex Monogram Reissue

Wolly Mammoth Aurora Origonal

Allosaurus Revell Reissue

Three Horned face Monogram Reissue

Spiked Dinosaur Aurora Origonal

Flying Reptile Revell Reissue

Saber tooth Tiger Aurora origonal

I tried to paint them as close to the box art as could with a little it of change as well, but I wanted to stick with the box art as close as possible for the entire line. IMHO this is not a line that needs to be done in a realistic life like colors, they just don't look right IMO when done that way no matter how nice the paint looks.

I've got a complete Cave kit coming from the UK and I got a loose complete Giant Bird kit I got off eBay coming this next week.
    Aside from a few missing parts from the Tar pit, Jungle Swamp, Allosaurus base, 2 nd Sabertooth tiger base, and a couple name plates, I've got everything.
    I just need the Cave Bear kit to complete the line in full.
    I still have several kits I have to build or repaint, but this is what I have done so far.
    It has been a long,but fun road.
    Enjoy a blast from the past with these great kits.
    I'll update the pics whe I got some more kits done, here in the next couple weeks.
    Lynn
    Last edited by Lynn TXP 0369; Sep 28, '08, 3:05 PM.
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

I've always liked these (not so "accurate" nowadays but still cool) and had quite a few as a kid. Never got them all (or even near all) but liked the ones I did have.
    It's cool that you buy them to build them and not stuck in the original box on a dusty shelf somewhere. Of course it'd be in the back of my mind "Gee, this is worth $xxxx still in the box, should I open it?" LOL
    I have quite a few 1/25 scale car models that I bought really cheap (new) years ago and I find it hard to justify building them now because I know what these unbuilt kits are worth. I have one worth well over $100 dollars and I just can't bring myself to build it, yet I don't want to sell it.

Rich

Can't wait to see more of your kits. Good luck.

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
    After almost 19 years of collecting these Aurora Prehistoric Scenes kits and their reissues to get what I didn't have I'm almost done not only collecting the full line, but I'm also halfway done building them as well.
    It has been a long time coming and a labor of love and I'm at the point to where I can start to display them.

T-rex monogram Reissue

Wolly Mammoth Aurora Origonal

Allosaurus Revell Reissue

Three Horned face Monogram Reissue

Spiked Aurora Origonal

Flying Reptile Revell Reissue

Saber tooth Tiger Aurora origonal

I tried to paint them as close to the box art as could with a little it of change as well, but I wanted to stick with the box art as close as possible for the entire line. IMHO this is not a line that needs to be done in a realistic life like colors, they just don't look right IMO when done that way no matter how nice the paint looks.

I've got a complete Cave kit coming from the UK and I got a loose complete Giant Bird kit I got off eBay coming this next week.
    Aside from a few missing parts from the Tar pit, Jungle Swamp, Allosaurus base, 2 nd Sabertooth tiger base, and a couple name plates, I've got everything.
    I just need the Cave Bear kit to complete the line in full.
    I still have several kits I have to build or repaint, but this is what I have done so far.
    It has been a long,but fun road.
    Enjoy a blast from the past with these great kits.
    I'll update the pics whe I got some more kits done, here in the next couple weeks.
    Lynn

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

Those are awesome!!!!

I had/still have some of the re-issues they did in the mid 80's and 1990's. I love the paint jobs you gave them and love the politically incorrect dinosaur designs of those days. Great pics, thanks again!
      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• goldenryan
        coy member
        • Jul 13, 2007

i like the wall color i got somethin' similar in my toy room. dynamic blue, right?

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
          Career Member
          • Jun 10, 2007

I'm not sure what color the blue on the walls is..
          It used to be my Studio Scale model prop room and it made a perfact color for the blue screen effect.

Thanks for the comps guys!!
          These are great kits and I don't ever think they were ever intended to be "accurate" in any sence of the term even back then.
          They are just great fun little kits that look great all done.
          Lynn

Comment

• megoat
            A Therefore Experience
            • Jun 10, 2003

I found a bunch of these at a flea market this year (they didn't have their boxes). All original. They are awesome.

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

I Just Love them, There So Cool. Awesome Job.
              Sammy

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                Career Member
                • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by megoat
                I found a bunch of these at a flea market this year (they didn't have their boxes). All original. They are awesome.
                Do you got anything you would like to sell???
                I need some Tar Pit parts and I'm looking for a complete or mostly complate Cave Bear kit.
                These are great kits!!

Lynn

Comment

• Seeker
                  Neptunians RULE!
                  • Feb 20, 2008

Back in the day they were almost like action figures. I had them all including the swamp, tar pit, Cave bear, cave, and the different cave men and woman. The only one I didnt have is the big T rex.

Since they were reissued Ive started recollecting them. I wish they kept the bases that interconnected and expanded the series to include the rest.
                  Lo there do I see my Father.
                  Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
                  Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
                  Lo they do call me.
                  They bid me take my place among them.
                  In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                    Do you got anything you would like to sell???
                    I need some Tar Pit parts and I'm looking for a complete or mostly complate Cave Bear kit.
                    These are great kits!!

Lynn

Check out my buddy Trevor's website:

Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Models

It's THE place to go. He has a forsale section too.

Bob

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Heee heee!

Those are great! It's nice to see there are a few more folks trying to put together a set. It's tricky putting a set together. (After a LOT of years I think I have at least 80% of all of 'em.) It's also interesting that everyone I've seen who collects these kits is BUILDING them and not just hoarding them.

Yours look good; but have you thought about assembling the display with them? I built a table specificly so I could put them all together.

>I don't ever think they were ever intended to be "accurate" in any sence of the term even back then.

Well.... most of them WERE pretty accurate, but they're over 30 years old, and we know a lot more about some of these beasties. The only real error I've noticed is that the Cro-Magnon Man seems out of scale with the rest.

>Check out my buddy Trevor's website:

Yeah; check that one out! It's probably the best site for the kits. (PLUS he's got the instructions there!)

Other good sites:
                      Welcome to The Parts Pit (check out the "new kits" section for custom kits for making NEW dinos, and the Borealis section for repro bases.)
                      http://www.retroresin.com/retrositenew1_002.htm (They make a repro Tar Pit; one of the rare kits.)

Don C.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                        Heee heee!
                        Yours look good; but have you thought about assembling the display with them? I built a table specificly so I could put them all together.
                        Thanks for links and comps guys!!
                        Yes,I will try and see if I can display them all together in their appropriot spots, but that takes alot of room from what I have seen.
                        I have also gotten the full Tamyia dinosaur model line that is similar to the Aurora line as far as interlocking bases, only it has updated and accurate dinos, and produces a huge diorama when done as well. I'll start working on that line soon as well and I may do the same as fas dispalying that line as well.
                        Lynn

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Those are awesome! I love the Saber tooth tiger
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• DCSTING
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 23, 2004

Great job on those kits...they look great!!!

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                              Removed.
                              • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
                              (They make a repro Tar Pit; one of the rare kits.)

Don C.
                              Funny, I had at least two of those Tar Pit kits when I was a kid. Seemed like the 'common leftover' kit back then that nobody wanted. I always wanted the Sabretooth Tiger but never got him. Had a couple Pteradactyls too.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎