• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

round2 Captain Action costume/body comparison pictures

Hiya folks.

I just got in a bunch of Cap America suits for the new Round2 CA line. And.... since there were some wonderings about how these costumes would look on bodies other than the new CA, I did some dressups and some pics. Here you go.

Looking at the examples I received - the wall eye Steve is a bit of hit and miss. Happy to report that not all of them are odd looking, unhappy to say that some are.

I was going to try out 3 different bodies. A dragon, an early 2k BBI, and the PM cappy body. I did the dragon first and it is taller than the CA bodies, Ideal, PM, and Round2. So, since the BBI is both taller and wider than the CA and the Dragon, I decided to skip it as the Dragon was stretching the suit pretty far.

Here are some shots of the costume on a Dragon body with the hands removed and the gloves held up by friction.

A comparison with the original Ideal Captain America outfit.

And then some shots of the outfit on a PM Cappy body.

I think you can use the outfit on just about any body you like if you are willing to stretch it some and if the headsculpt is small enough to hold the mask. I think the biggest problem with the masks is the ears. Original Ideal cappy masks don't have ears. These from Round2 do, and when the masks are on heads (which also have ears) they tend to stick out really far and push the jawline out pretty far. This, in turn, makes the head look out of proportion with the body.

I am also not a big fan of the new style material and cut for the outfits. I am an old school CA fan, and I like the barrel chest cut for the suits. However, I will say they hold up well to stretching over taller bodies, and the screen print is pretty clean.

I definitely liked the look of the outfit better on the Cap Action body, rather than the Dragon. The CA looked a bit more proportionate, while the Dragon made the outfit look kind of gangly. However, it is good to know that you can display these sets on armatures that are not the 30 or 40 dollar Captain Action from Round 2. Not that I don't think you should spend the money with the company making these. Just that 30-40 is a lot of change to drop for a manikin for your new outfit.

Hope you enjoy the pics. These are awesome toysets. I will be picking them all up. I tend to buy in bulk, tho, so my extras may make some appearances on the marketplace. Have a GOOD time. - rche
  • thoriron
    Career Member
    • Apr 22, 2004

great ! i love it .......and i wait this new bad boys

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
      Career Member
      • Jul 25, 2010

Thanks for the comparison shots rche! I have a PM Captain Action that is definitely going to be wearing one of the new Round 2 sets.
      Vintage Toy Rescue
      1614-B N State Hwy 161
      Grand Prairie, TX 75050
      (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

OK - I got my Spidey sets in today. No Captain Action himself yet. But that is OK as I was wanting to see how these outfits worked with different bodies anyway.

For spidey I used a modern Hasbro GI Joe. Not sure if it is the 'super articulated' body or not. It was the one with the moveable fingers for the 'grip' hands. I also used a repro of the vintage Joe body, and then a Playing Mantis Captain Action.

Of the two Joes, I liked the vintage style body the best. Although, the modern repros of those bodies are very lightweight and difficult to get posed as the boots and the tight spandex pushed the bodies out of any extreme poses rather quickly. The vintage style body did seem to have more of a range of motion, however.

The best was still the Playing Mantis Cap Action. The suit was a good fit without being so tight as to inhibit posing the figure. I managed the most extreme kneebend type pose with the PM body. Plus, the PM bodies have enough heft to them to overcome the push in the rubber boots that makes them want to always stand up straight.

I also noted that the Spidey mask worked the best with the PM body as the head was a bit larger and filled the mask up all the way. It looked a bit wonky on the modern Joe head. I did not try the masks on the flocked head as I did not really want to rub any of the flocking off. The Parker mask looked better on the smaller head tho.

Mostly what I found is that you can use these outfits with other armatures and have them still look pretty good.

OK so here is the lineup:

This is the modern Hasbro Joe in the costume

note that the Parker mask looks fairly normal on the smaller Joe head. However, in the Spidey shots with this head, the mask is a bit warped and looks off.

Here is the vintage style Joe body. It was a modern 'Man of Asia' so I'll just give a nod to the Toei studios and the Japanese Spiderman show.

And the old style Captain Action body. Again, this one is my favorite of the bunch. Note the mask looks full when on the Captains head. Not too big tho.

have a GOOD time

Comment

• wilbs518
          Mego Collector
          • Jul 25, 2009

Thanks for the pics.
          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

is that belt from the exclusive Spidey set? it was not in the basic set

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

Yes, the silver belt is from the deluxe set. I meant to post up pix of the deluxe trays with all the parts in them, but forgot to upload them. I'll post 'em up later this eve.

and THANKS to the mods for changing the thread title for me.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 29, 2007

Hey Rche! I very much appreciate all the reviews, facts and pictures you are sharing here with us.

I particularly appreciate those side to side with the original Captain Action costumed heroes. I don't know if its a thing of mine but I would have loved if Round 2 would have developed removable gloves instead of detaching hands/gloves (like in Mego figures or Captain Action with Classik Plastik gloves).

Anyhow, I'm a huge fan of cloth costumed heroes with removable masks, gloves, boots and accessories. Unlimited play value and customizing options. Go Captain Action and Go Megos!

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 10, 2007

Those look great!!
                  How did you get the hands off of the modern Joe?

Lynn

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                    Those look great!!
                    How did you get the hands off of the modern Joe?

Lynn
                    heat up the arms with hot water or a hair dryer blast and the wrist pins will pop right out.
                    Same thing for a Cap Action arm. Tho I personally would recommend the Playing Mantis bodies for that type of thing. But, even tho I love these new figures and sets, I sort of like to keep my vintage vintage; if you know what I mean.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Those are really sweet.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                        Radioactive!
                        • Feb 13, 2010

Took some more pics of my Captain America bash:

Have to say I'm really pleased with this. I'm not a fan of the Captain Action facemask concept---it just has no appeal to me---but this blond GIJoe figure looks just about perfect as Steve Rogers to my eyes. I'm going to just paint a mustache on the Captain Action himself to make him into a more appropriate unmasked Tony Stark when the Iron Man set comes out, and try to figure out something for Thor as well.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Nice custom! That really looks good! A fitting tribute to Steve Rogers for sure! I have grown to really like this line and am looking forward to Thor, Loki, Iron man, and Red Skull releases. Just some really neat stuff coming from this company.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 10, 2007

That looks really good.
                            Lynn

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 10, 2007

How does Caps mask look on the modern Joe?
                              Would love to see pics and see if it looks better then Spidy.
                              Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎