by Kenn Reul
Like many, I was very thrilled to hear about the Marvel ToyBiz Famous Cover figures. I thought far out new characters to inter-mix with my MEGOs. Then I saw them. Ugh! Too big and bulky, but I noticed their heads were in scale to MEGOs and began to transform them into MEGOs with very little effort. May this how-to help anyone who is also disillusioned with these figures oversized scale.
I'm sticking to doing figures MEGO did not make and only the ones I like, but I'm sure this method would work for any of the other FC guys.
1) Gather the above mentioned items
3) Pick the MEGO head you think would look best in the Wolverine cowl, I chose Hulk since he's common and has that mean looking lower face. Paint your Hulk head and or do nothing if you picked a flesh head and put it on your body.
4) I did not like the belt that came with the FC Wolvie so I used a Fighting Furies belt that's a dead ringer for his. Paint the belt red.
5) Put the costume on your MEGO body. I used a Wee Win MEGO knock-off Samson body, it is a tad bigger then a LionRock body and very muscular so it fills out the suit well. Pull the suit legs over the feet.
6) When your gloves and boots are finished shrinking, glue the claws back on the gloves and re-paint the black onto the boots.
7) Put all the parts on Wolvie and you're set.
Note: Does anyone remember when Wolverine was a runt? It seems the toy world has forgotten about that. The second Wolvie figure ever done (ToyBiz) was in scale, all the rest have been giant. I guess even "adamantium" bones can grow!
1) Assemble the items mentioned above.
2) Strip down your FC Doom to his naked silver butt.
3) Use your x-acto knife to trace an outline along the bottom of his neck. Use your dremel or hacksaw (I used the hacksaw which took less than one minute) and cut off Dooms head. It is important to include as much as his neck as possible.
4) Use your model glue to affix the doom head onto the Fonzie or other body. It is important to have one of the bodies I mentioned since the chest piece is made out of a lighter plastic then the normal T1 and T2 bodies. If not your glue will not hold!
5) Dress up Doom in the knight jumpsuit and add the green tunic and belt that came with him.
6) Pull the belt tight in the back so the extra part is in a U shape then put the small rubber band (I used one that came from dental braces) around it so it will be held in place. This also will let you pull the tunic tight so it is not too baggie.
7) Paint the IronMan gloves Silver. I got Doc MEGO gloves since they would be cheaper are easy to get and would not break my heart painting a pair of perfectly good Ironman gloves.
8) If you are using a Fonzie body, cut of the thumbs. I found even with the thumbs in the closed position they stick out too far to get the gloves on without damage to the repro pair.
9) Add gloves, boots, and cloak.
So easy it's silly.
1) Strip down your FC gals, which means you have to pull off there hands since both of them have bracelets.
2) Remove their heads and the heads on your MEGO gals.
3) Add heads and costumes.
Note: I found the Storm costume needs added breast support, I used a chest piece from the Spawn Angela figure, but sculpty and/or two craft store grapes cut in half also work. Are the heads too big? Maybe, but they are approx. the same sized as their big headed sister Sue Storm.